Have you purchased an HIV Self Test Kit or been given one to use as part of our Test Drive campaign and want more information?
This gives you a step by step guide on how to undertake the BioSure test and what to do once you've tested.
The test is very simple to use and requires just a tiny drop of blood. It is however only designed to detect HIV in your blood after it has been there for around 3 months, so if you think you have been exposed to HIV within this timeframe, please call us to discuss your options for getting tested.
Testing using the BioSure Self Test can be wherever and whenever you want to do it and the result is ready in just 15 minutes.
If at any time you want to talk to someone about the test, either before, during or after, please call us on 01752 254406 / 0800 328 3508 or if you want to get tested at home for free then please for a testing kit
Remember it is better to know your status, the earlier you get treatment the better for your longer term health.
So now to the test.....
- Make sure you are somewhere that you won't be disturbed for at least 20 minutes.
- Open up the test kit, checking that you have the test itself, a safety lancet (used to pierce the skin to obtain your blood sample), a plaster and a disposal bag. The kit comes in a plastic tray, which you use to hold the test while it's running.
- The pull out instructions attached to the tray are great, they go through the process of how to physically do the test in a really straightforward way.
- Don't forget though to PUSH the test into the buffer pot as far as it will go, this is essential for the test to work.
15 minutes later....now to read the result....
- Lift the flap on section 4 of the pull out instructions.
- Lay the test into the slot.
- 0 lines = the test didn't work.
- 1 line = negative.
- 2 lines = a reactive result.
Remember if you get a reactive result this means that you need to attend a sexual health clinic or your GP to get a confirmatory test undertaken.
Don't forget if you want to talk to anyone either before, during or after taking the test, call us on 01752 254406 or 0800 328 3508.