The new way for young people 13-24 in Devon and Torbay to get free condoms, dams and lube.
Rising rates of sexually transmitted infections in young people living in the South-West is proof that the message of wearing a condom to protect yourself and your partner is more important than ever. Last year, there was a 32% increase in new STI diagnoses among those under the age of 25 in Devon. It is hoped that the new service will play a crucial role in tackling this trend, helping to reduce onward transmission of STIs.
Through the new service, condoms and safer sex products will be provided to Devon and Torbay residents aged 16-24 through online ordering with postal delivery and collection points. The focus will be on sexually active young people 16-24, and young people aged 13-16 most at risk of poor sexual outcomes.
Get free condoms, dams and lube:
- Online through: doink.sh.uk/devon
- In person at one of the many collection sites.
As part of this provider change, all existing registered C-Card holders will need to re-register for the new service.
The scheme also provides information and advice about all aspects of relationships, sex and sexuality.
The service is run by Preventx, the UK’s largest sexual health testing service, and The Eddystone Trust, a local sexual health and HIV charity. Preventx will run the remote ordering process for the service, and Eddystone will coordinate with distribution sites, and provide safeguarding oversight for the service.
What the service offers
- A free, confidential and trusted condom service for Devon and Torbay residents, aged 13-24.
- A young person can register onto the scheme and be sent free condoms or collect in-person from any participating distribution site across the county.
- The service is designed to be inclusive and offer easy access to condoms.
- The service will deliver effective distribution of condoms, dams and lubricant and access to information on safer sex and relationships.
Where can people get free condoms?
See if they are eligible to order free condoms, dams and lube.
They can choose:
- Free delivery to their home.
- Free delivery to any other local address.
- To get condoms from one of our collection points.
Anyone aged 13, 14 or 15 can use this service, but they need to talk to staff before they can register.
How many condoms do people get?
When they order, they can choose one of the following:
- A selection pack (5 different types of external condom, an internal condom, dam and some lube)
- 10 external condoms (choose from 6 different types)
- 5 internal condoms
- A pack of 5 dams
All external and internal condom orders come with 5 sachets of lube.
How often can they get condoms?
They can order more condoms or dams whenever they need to, as long as it’s been at least 7 days since their last order.
What happens when someone registers?
We ask for some details. This includes:
- Name, address and date of birth
- Gender and ethnicity
- Email address and mobile number
If someone used to be registered with the local C-Card service. Do they need to register again?
This is a brand-new service and personal information cannot be transferred over from the previous C-Card service. This means that anyone who registered with the C-Card service before will need to register again for this service.
What is SH.UK and why do they have an SH.UK account for this service?
SH.UK is an online sexual health service, run by Preventx in partnership with the NHS. It provides free test kits and, in some areas, treatment and contraception.
The service provides testing for a range of sexually transmitted infections including chlamydia, gonorrhoea, HIV, syphilis, hepatitis B and hepatitis C via samples they can collect at home.
This condom service is run by Preventx through the SH.UK platform. That means that users might sometimes see the SH.UK logo, and that they will have an SH.UK account when they register for this service. When they login, their account will be through SH.UK.
What if someone is under 16?
If they are aged 13, 14 or 15, they can still use this website to order condoms.
First, you’ll need to register. You can do this online or come and talk to our friendly team at one of our registration and collection points and ask to register.
We’ll have a short chat with you. This is to make sure you’re safe and that you know how to use condoms safely. We’ll also talk to you about the age of consent, which is 16.
This is the sort of thing we’ll be chatting about.
Once you’re registered, you’ll be able to use this website to order their condoms.
Until you’re 16, you’ll need to have a chat with us every 3 months to use the service. This so we can check in with you and make sure you’re safe.
How do I order condoms by post?
- Register or login.
- Watch 2 short videos about using condoms
- Choose their condoms
- Answer a few questions about sex and relationships.
- Place their order
- Wait for their condoms to arrive by post
How do I find where I can collect condoms?
Find their nearest collection point.
How can I collect condoms?
They don’t have to be registered online to visit a collection point, but it might make their visit quicker.
- Find their nearest registration and collection point.
- Go to the location and speak to the staff to get their condoms.
What condoms are available?
All our external condoms are high-quality Pasante and EXS condoms designed to help they have enjoyable safer sex.
Regular. Flavoured. Ribbed and dotted. Trim. Large. Latex-free.
All our external condoms are made from latex, except for the latex-free condoms. They’re all vegan friendly, CE marked and most also have a BSI kitemark.
Our internal condoms are high-quality Pasante condoms designed to help you have enjoyable safer sex.
- They’re latex-free and made from a very soft material called nitrile.
- They come covered with silicone-based lube. If you use sex toys, it’s important to know that silicone-based lube can damage silicone-based sex toys.
- All internal condoms come in packs of 5.
- They’re vegan-friendly.
Our dams come in a pack of 5.
- They’re made of latex.
- They’re not covered with lube.
- Dam orders don’t come with lube.